Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Guns on Amtrak?

You know, I've always liked the thought of Amtrak, except when I travel I just about always do so with my concealed handgun (stowed as needed per Federal Regs). Amtrak has never been an option for me since they have a significant anti-gun rule....that would be no guns whatsoever.

Imagine my surprise when this gem from My Way News caught my eye:
The Senate voted Wednesday to permit passengers on the Amtrak passenger railroad to transport handguns in their checked baggage.

The proposal, approved by a 68-30 vote, seeks to give Amtrak riders rights comparable to those enjoyed by airline passengers, who are permitted to transport firearms provided that they declare they are doing so and that the arms are unloaded and in a securely locked container.

"Americans should not have their Second Amendment rights restricted for any reason, particularly if they choose to travel on America's federally subsidized rail line," said Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., who made the proposal.

Wicker's amendment would deny the railroad its $1.6 billion taxpayer subsidy unless it changes the gun policy.


It still has to be included when they combine the House and Senate bills, but if it's not a worthless "hey House, we're gonna put this in to look pro-Gun but we'll just strike it when we combine the bills" then Amtrak may become an option again.

No comments:

Current Quote

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." – Thomas Jefferson